Friday, June 29, 2007

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I'm not very literate when it comes to literature, but reading Tennyson's "In Memoriam," touched me in a special way. I too have experienced the death of a good friend, confidante, and best supporter of whatever it was I was doing in my life. This person was one who I attribute my success today.

I also felt "blights joy in all living things"pg. 599, when this happened to me. "He is not here, but far away, The noise of life begins again!" pg. 601. Somehow I was able to move on, for if I hadn't, I would not be where I am today. I think this is a beautiful and healthy way of mourning your best friend.

2 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Gloria,

I am sorry for the loss of your friend, but having had that experience seems to cause you to engage much more personally and deeply with Tennyson's poem. As a result this post is one of your best. I would still have liked to see you discuss it at more length, though.

Jared Hall said...

Gloria,

I really liked how deeply you connected with these works. Your sincerity was quite refreshing to me when I read this blog. Great job!