Thursday, June 14, 2007

Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Browning made her way once she left the shackles of her father. It's nice to hear of very sucessful women in this era. Laureateship, I'm assuming this is like the prestige honor of holding the Noble Peace Prize. I enjoyed reading Sonnets from the Portuguese. It marks a point in the developing relationship between her and husband. It also reflects her emotions as she moves through sorrow, fear, passion, and thoughts of her own death.

Sonnets from the Portuguese (1) pg. 530, "I saw, in gradual vision through my tears, The sweet, sad years, the melancholy years, Those of my own life, who by turns had flung A shadow across me. I think this depicts Browning as an invalid lying in bed grieving her past.

2 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Gloria,

Good quotation from Elizabeth Barrett Browning's sonnet. You don't provide any commentary or interpretation of that passage at all, though. Let your reader know what you see going on in the poetry!

Mignon Clark said...

Elizabeth Browning was a strong female with excellent poetry. I really don’t feel that she made her way once she left her father. I feel that her father was very supportive of her until she got married. I felt that her success came from her imagination strength. In addition to her imagination strength, I feel that her illness contributed to her successful writing as well. I really enjoyed Portuguese as well. I love the way that her poetry was love letters to Robert Browning, her future husband. Robert was that shadow that revived her from her illness.