Sunday, June 24, 2007

George Bernard Shaw

To bad Shaw's mother left him early in his life. Later moving to London proved to be the best thing that could of happened to him. His ability to write and express his thoughts about the English language unfortunately did not receive it's claim to fame until after his death, in the playwright "Pygmalion," and later titled "My Fair Lady."

Pygmalion is a funny play about a phonetics expert who attempts to make a lady out of an uneducated Cockney flower girl. This play also brings out the important questions about relationships between men and women, human behavior, and social class.

Glad to see Shaw take a stand for women and their roles. He, in a sense was helping to free women of the stereotypical role of running the home and being submissive. Yeah to Shaw!

4 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Gloria,

Glad you enjoyed Shaw so much. Your posting on Pygmalion, though, doesn't provide much more than a plot summary. You ought to quote and discuss a particular scene or line of dialogue that illustrates and supports your claim about the play and Shaw's view of women.

Mignon Clark said...

George Shaw was an extraordinary writer. At this point of our reading, I enjoyed the writing being in playwright format. This made it easier for me to read. I enjoyed the way that he incorporated his thoughts on the English language. It was a little difficult for me at first. I had to read some of the lines two and three times to figure out what he was saying. I compared the language to ebonics (a slang language that is commonly used in our society today). He showed humor in his playwrights which made it more interesting to read. I also enjoyed the way that his writing distinguished the difference in the social classes.

Caitlin said...

Since I wrote my final paper on this Author, I really wanted to read what everyone thought about him. I agree that Pygmalion is a funny play, but it was also about real life issues. This combination made it interesting and kept the reader guessing at what was to happen next! My favorite line was by Liza, when she explained she would NOT be walking, and said, "Bloody!" at the party at Mrs. Higgins.

Pygmalion is a funny play about a phonetics expert who attempts to make a lady out of an uneducated Cockney flower girl. This play also brings out the important questions about relationships between men and women, human behavior, and social class.

Glad to see Shaw take a stand for women and their roles. He, in a sense was helping to free women of the stereotypical role of running the home and being submissive. Yeah to Shaw!

Caitlin said...

Opps! Sorry I accidently posted with your text below it! I like to copy the text onto this block so I can read it while making my comments! Sorry!