Friday, June 15, 2007

John Stuart Mill

I liked the readings of Mill's. He deals with a whole range of issues especially in the The Subjection of Women that include, equality in political soceity, their place in hisotry and the place of women, men, and children within the family.

I am glad to see Mill's stand up for women and their equality. In his remarks on The Subjection of women pg. 525, "The most favourable case which a man can generally have for studing the character of a woman, is that of his own wife: for the opportunities are greater, and the cases of completed sympathy not so unspeakably rare. and in fact, this is the source from which any knowledge worth having on the subject has, I believe, generally come." Mill's gives a sense of how he felt about his own relationship with Harriet.

After Harriet died, his relationship with his stepdaughter I would imagine, caused some controversy about that relationship and the works that came after Harriet's death.

2 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Gloria,

Good focus and comment on the quotation from Mill. I also think it is interesting that you would think of Mill's stepdaughter--I had nover thought about her. One of the great things about reading these blogs is picking up insights I had not had before.

Mignon Clark said...

John Mills was a great individual. He most definitely tackled the equality idea. I enjoyed “The Subjection of Women”. He did a nice job of taking things that we look at on a daily basis and putting them in perspective to the public eye. We have a good sense of equality in our day now but can you imagine not having political or gender equality. I loved the way he put emphasis on a man respecting and loving his wife. In “Statement Repudiating the Rights of Husbands” he even supported the fact more. I was impressed with how he was willing to give up ego to be on the same level as his wife to be.