Sunday, June 24, 2007

Williams Butler Yeats

The poem Easter 1916 is Yeats reaction to the revolution of the Irish. You can relate this event to modern day also. The 911 terror attack on the U.S. brings to memory while reading this poem. In the end it reads pg. 1121, "A terrible beauty is born." Does this mean that the violence is seen as beauty for those who support this type of resolution?

An example of Yeats insight of human conditions is stated on pg 1120, "Too long a sacrifice, Can make a stone of the heart," which can apply to family relationships, your job, and your marriage. We tend to stick it out when things are going bad but in the long run cause the heart to grow weaker and weaker until you feel nothing.

I enjoyed Yeats and his work.

3 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Gloria,

I am pleased you liked Yeats, and think your posting is better than others because you did find a connection to his works. Good comments on the passage you mention. I would like to see you do more postings in which you focus on and discuss the texts.

keeholl said...

I enjoyed your your interpretation of his work and how you connected it to an event that we all are so familiar with.

Jared Hall said...

Gloria,

I really liked the connection that you made from Yeats's work to the world today. I think that you did a very good job analyzing this work and I enjoyed reading your thoughts.